1. Be sure you have installed latest KDE of your distro
(state: 9th January 2013... >/= KDE SC 4.8.0 (older versions not tested by me))
Note: after installing a new main version of KDE you must recompile BE::Shell
you do all on your own risk!!!
2. Be sure you are willing to learn new things and read the wiki!
3. Install dependencies and what else we need (if not already done):
on Debian or Debian based distributions (Ubuntu, etc)
(If you previously installed Bespin should already be present)
4. Okay, now we do what the wiki taught us:
4.1 Load the source code opening a terminal and type: git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/be-shell/code be-shell-code
4.2 cd be-shell-code
4.4 cd build
4.6 sudo make install
5. Run kcmshell4 kded in a terminal - that will bring up the kded manager.
Disable the "Status Notifier Manager" to get (legacy) systray icons from KDE applications.
6. Replace Plasma by copying be.shell.desktop and plasma-desktop.desktop (and optional krunner.desktop)
to ~/.kde/share/autostart/ (in some distros .kde4)
NOT to ~/.kde/autostart/ or ~/.config/autostart
Note: if you would now restart or relogin you would see... nothing (a blank screen)
It is very important to install a configuration and -recommendable- a matching theme first.
7. install a theme AND a config file:
you can use one from examples folder in be-shell-code
Note: you need a theme AND a configuration file (be.shell) -> "Copy the desired example MINUS THE SUFFIX to the local kde config dir, eg."
7.1 copy be.shell.win2000 to ~/.kde/share/config/ and delete the suffix (.win2000)
7.2 copy the matching theme (windows) from themes folder to ~/.kde/share/apps/be.shell/Themes
Note: in some distros the hidden folder .kde is .kde4
If you dislike win2000 look you can also download themes from our gallery...
Note: if you change a theme it is usually necessary to change the appropriate config file (be.shell)
8. logout and relogin or restart your system
9. for theming and configuring your BE::Shell read the wiki: sourceforge.net/p/be-shell/wik…
+++ any improvements and feedback is very welcome +++